November 24, 2009

Yolanda Christian

November 2016

The author event on 3 Nov 2016 went well. I had a lovely time. Everyone was interested in the Macanese people and we shared a lot of empathy. Thanks everyone!  

The Girl in Peckham & Kowloon
A young woman of English and Macanese * blood goes to Los Angeles and China looking for answers . . .  Macau, south China

'She often dreamt she was black, or her mother was a deep black, and the whitest of white skin she’d been born with always surprised her.'   

Click on the cover for more information. 


Praise for 'The Girl in Peckham & Kowloon':

“After the end of Portuguese Macau all the memories start fading and each time an old person dies is a moment of no return. That’s why your interpretation is so valid and useful.”
Dr. Jorge Forjaz, author of Familias Macaenses

Longlisted by the Mslexia Novel Competition

5.0 out of 5 starsAn inspiring journey
By Mark Henderson
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
A tightly-written and thoroughly engaging work of prose fiction, and most importantly (for me at least) it's the kind of fiction that tells the truth. The reader emerges from the published Part I of the novel not only better informed about 1980s London, the Portuguese empire of the 16th-19th centuries, and a range of artistic techniques, but delighted by the protagonist determination to complete her quest for self-discovery and understanding of her roots.

Everything about the book is authentic and well-researched, including the descriptions of artistic methods. The author is herself an artist - the cover of the book is one of her paintings - and she knows how to control narrative pace and to create and sustain tension. The end of Part I will make you desperate to read Part II!

This is a book I can sincerely recommend. It's one of that small handful of novels I'll read more than once.

Click on the cover to learn more about the paperback. The ebook will download to any computer or electronic device.
___________________________

10 comments:

  1. Hi Yolanda been reading the book. A lot of local places in Peckham. Quite a nostalgic book working my way through it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. Can't wait to hear what you think of it all--especially in Kowloon.

      Delete
  2. Yolanda,
    I enjoyed the book very much. I think it has all come together very well and leaves a very vivid impression in the mind. I've posted a review on Amazon.
    All best wishes,
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated. Means a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. Just to let you know that I have finished your book, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I have given it to a friend to read, and get her thoughts too, I will put it in to my book club when it is my turn.
    Love Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your novel. An interesting and brave move from art. It was an absorbing read and seemed autobiographical. A mixture between the narrative using 'I' and she/Jules. Great to see the reference to Peter! A funny and wistful story and all the very best for your next novel. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading it Anne. I'm so glad you found it funny and wistful. It's supposed to have the irreverence of magical realism. Autobiographical? I often have this discussion with readers and writers---In Harper Lee's To Kill a Mocking Bird, the author uses her own local area and her father was a lawyer who often took her and her friend to observe trials in court . . . and when you think about it, Dickens was brought up in a debtor's gaol and then went on to write Little Dorrit. Not that I dare to put myself among such illustrious company, but like many fledgling writers I have used what I know, and then conducted extensive research and readership, AND, learnt how to write fiction. Phew. It has all been enjoyable. All the best for now, Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just received a lovely email from a neighbour:

    "I have just received your book this morning and would like to ask you if you could sign it for me. I am not a very great reader as I find very difficult to sit still and concentrate for too long (ADHD) but I will certantly try my best to read it."

    Talk about making my day. I'm in seventh heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book arrived from Amazon yesterday. I have just had a chance to dip in to it and have seen one or two references. I was the initiator of the Peckham Action Group. I wonder if we met then. Do you remember my name? It is a thrill to hear your voice from the past. I look forward to seeing you at the Camberwell event although please note my diary gets filled quickly with Peckham Vision events. Bye for now, Eileen Conn

    ReplyDelete